We're finally going to do it; leaving for Mexico in the am. Going to sail down there and see if that's where the sun made off to, it hasn't been around here at all, not one single ray, for 6 days straight now.
Met some cool people here, some of them heading down south about the same time we are, others heading back north for the summer and plan on returning to Mexican waters in the fall. Had a good 4th, awesome firework show, scared the hell out of the cat and Jim slept through it, but I got some good pictures.
Watermaker was successfully installed and is making good clean water. At a rate of about 40gal/hour we should only have to run the engine a couple hours a week and have plenty of fresh water. After fowling our tanks with bad water we took on in Newport Beach and the hassle of having to flush and sanitize the tanks it's going to be really nice not to have to worry about doing that again. Not to mention never having to haul water or worry about being super conservative is going to be awesome.
The SSB radio is up and running but having trouble figuring out how to set up email and get weather faxes on the computer using the Signalink. In fact, I ended up frying the only computer we had with Windows XP, which is what runs our charting program, while trying to find software online that would work. I'm giving up on that. Maybe I'll meet a Ham/computer geek someday that can show me how to configure it all properly, so until then....
We're thinking we'll get the 3G card from TelCel when we get to Mexico so we'll have internet access whenever we're in range of a cell tower, which I'm told is almost everywhere and works out pretty good.
Would love to hear about what all of you are up to, this blog thing seems pretty one sided to me, so keep in touch.
1 comment:
Hi Guys,
Great to hear you're finally on your way. So sorry to hear of the loss of you Mom.
Now that Leonard & Wilma are gone, it's getting kinda lonely around here. I'm never here, because I work all the time, (gasoline tanker truck driver now). Good pay, lots of hours. Finally getting caught back up.
My friend Mike and I have had Misty underway, 8 times this year. He's coming along great as crew. Wants to do it all, and is willing to listen and learn.
Underway tomorrow early am for a blast around the Bay.
Glad to hear Jim is enjoying the "Rouse Reports".
Check in with me as you are trying out your new e-mail access while under way.
All the best, and fair winds,
Larry
Post a Comment