Monday, April 19, 2010

Rest in Peace

Last week my mother, Mary Witkop passed away. It was quite unexpected and yet we all knew she was on her way out and she had told us as much only we didn't want to know.
We've spent the last few days here in Taos amongst the best of friends and family. The out pouring of support has been above and beyond our expectations. I thank everyone who came through for us with kind words, prayers and hugs. I love you guys.

The day of the service started out dark and raining, as if the heavens were crying too. As we headed for the cemetery the rain stopped though and the sun came out and it didn't rain again until we were finally ready to leave and make our way home after the reception. The ceremony started off with a eulogy by my step-father, David Hopper. I want to reprint it here, with his permission for all of you who wanted to be there but came late or weren't able to make it.

April 17, 2010 - Pilar Village Cemetery
Eulogy by David Hopper

On behalf of Mary and her family, I would like to thank you for being here in her honor. Also, I would like to thank Mary's brother Leonard Suazo and her beloved neighbors in Pilar for honoring her wish to be buried in their hallowed ground. Also, I would like to thank Mary's brother, Luis Barela for the donation of the beautiful Cedro Marker Cross. Other Master Santeros had a hand in the carving, Carlos Barela, Leonard Salazar, Richard Salazar and Dan Rael.
They say "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words." This wonderful image is from a bad copy of a faded newspaper article from 1974, about 5 years into Mary's career as a potter, when Juanita was 3, Monita was born 2 years later on Easter, but on today's date. Through the magic and fine skills of Barry Norris, whose studio is in El Prado, if has become what you see, a work of fine art. I showed up there yesterday afternoon unannounced, he donated it in Mary's memory. In Thursday's Tempo there will be an article and I hope this will be the cover. It saved you-those thousand words have reduced my eulogy to only a thousand more...


I know all of you here have been deeply touched by Mary. She loves you all and I know you all love her. She is indeed, as Jonathan Warmday said, very special. This year she is being honored for her 40 years of turning mud into magic. Her precious pots are in all of our homes, many of them were gifts for birthdays, graduations, weddings... she gave everything and took very little.

I've been with Mary for 23 years. I've been totally devoted to Mary from the beginning. I wanted her to enjoy life, and we did - we walked up all these mountains, camped at the high lakes, made wondrous treks through out the natural spiritual centers of the earth, and roughed it always. Mary wasn't what she called 'fancy ass'. Among Mary's last words to me were something she said all the time - to me and to you I'm sure - "you're a very nice person" Well, Mary is the very nice person and I assure you that what I say comes from my heart. Where she will Always exist.

Mary always reminded me of a line from a song by my old friend, Kris Kristofferson. Kris wrote the song after the death of Janis Joplin, the great love of his life, "Why Was She Born All Black and Blue?" Mary has endured physical pain throughout her 40 years of fame - pain that intensified as her ability to do the things she loved diminished with age. She may have broken every bone in her body, bat as you all know she didn't have a mean bone in there, she didn't have to love her enemies, she didn't have any. Her life and her work was a selfless gift as was her passing.

Her work was her essence. As she became unable to function physically her work became her only focus. When she became unable to do the work, she only had her spirit animating her frail and failing body. At that point she told many of us that needed to know that she was done, too tired to carry on, far to much pain for beer to kill. She wanted to die where she worked, in the midst of some of her finest creations. She didn't want to bother anybody with it. Everything she did was for us. She has taught us as much about loving kindness as the Buddha.

Mary's last wish was that she be honored for her work. In her studio are 9 major pots that have accumulated as the market deteriorated. Ray Trotter of R B Raven Gallery was planning a major exhibition of her work for September - he will now be doing it as a memorial. We hope some work will end up in the Millicent Rogers Museum where they belong. Mary's work is for the people.

Mary is a medicine women. She is a holder of a sacred pipe of the Northern Cheyenne. Her Brother Harvey Beartrack is the only appropriate person still living to have prayed with the pipe at this moment. I couldn't find Harvey and I hope he is doing well. We love him dearly. So, in this spirit, I would like to close with a prayer that was meaningful to Mary. This is Black Elk's prayer:

(silence while we are always looking, pause, turn facing sundown, pause, turn facing the purifying wind - full circle, stop. Face to the sky, hands up, as loud as I can shout...echoes off the cliffs)

TONKA SCHILA! WAKON TONKA!

'Grandfather, great mysterious one! You have been always, and before you nothing has been. There is nothing to pray to but you. The star nations all over the heavens are yours, and yous are the grasses of the earth. You are older than all need, older than all pain and prayer. Day in, day out, you are the life of things.

Grandfather, all over the world the faces of living ones are alike. In tenderness they have come up out of the ground. Look upon your children, with children in their arms, that they may face the winds and walk the good road to the day of quiet. Teach me to walk the soft earth, relative to all that live. Give me the strength to understand and the eyes to see. Help me, for without you I am nothing.'

Mary, without you I am nothing.

Peace be with you Mary and with your spirit I know that your feet are firmly planted in the spirit world, that you are young, beautiful, free of pain, and eternal and that you are still giving us your all. I'll see you there. Amen

Mary has been behind everything that unfolded here. I believe she wanted to throw a big party for Mo's birthday so she could be with her grand kids.

I'm sure many of you have something to say. So now is the time and that will conclude the service here. Afterwards we are gathering at Mary's favorite spot above the bridge at the confluence. I think Mary will be pleased if it is a joyous, happy celebration of her life.

Hetch Atu Alo

___________________________________________________________________


Several people got up to speak afterwards, all with kind words and fond and funny memories of mom. It was a very special day and we will all miss you mom. Thanks to everyone who contributed to making this day special.
.

Cedros Cross Santeros - Richard Salazar, Leonard Salazar, Luis Barela, Carlos Barela & Dan Rael. Mayor Domo - Leonard Suazo

5 comments:

masbrow said...

Thank you for posting this, Juanita

Michelle Frappier said...

Just beautiful...Juanita, Monita and your mom will always be a part of my childhood. Thank you for sharing that with me. I love the thought of Mary free of pain and watching over us all. xoxo

gypsy moon designs said...

Thank you Juanita for sharing. Mitchell Poor and I were so sad to hear of Mary's passing and sad that we are so far away for her funeral.

Erin said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It seems trite to say she's with you still, but it is what I believe.

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful Juanita, I hope the pain of your loss is retreating. Much luv from 'no water in sight Sylmar'. Tiff